Try the new Koha Custom Search Engine to get help with your Koha system!
Training Opportunities with OS-OL ----
Available on Demand: Koha for System Administrators (one day workshop)
If you are the System Administrator or Systems Librarian at your library and you've been thinking seriously about the Open Source Library System options -- Koha and Evergreen -- you'd probably like to take a peek under the hood. Because, after all, with open source software, you can! Rather than just hearing about the product you might decide to switch to, with Evergreen and Koha, you can actually try them out for yourself!
As a result of this all day, hands-on workshop attendees will:
- Know the basic workflow and components of a Koha system.
- Understand the basic steps involved in importing data into Koha.
- Understand when to use Global System preferences versus local library preferences.
- Be able to set up patrons including defining patron types, defining fields, defaults and authorized values.
- Be able to set-up circulation rules.
- Configure cataloging and acquisitions set-up.
- Have experience using Admin features that are useful after initial system set-up.
- Be able to access library data using reports and queries.
Workshop Description: This is a one-day, hands-on workshop in which each attendee will access a Koha server using their own Wi-Fi equipped laptop. No previous Linux experience is required, but system administrator experience is strongly encouraged. The instructor will introduce all aspects of Koha administration with a focus on setting up the system for your library. Important global and local preferences and how they affect the options available to each library will be introduced. Set-up and administration of circulation, patrons, cataloging and acquisitions and serials will also be covered.
Each student will act as the Local Administrator for their own example library to see first-hand, the options they control versus options controlled with the Global Preferences settings.
- Module One
- Introduction to Koha: Basic system workflow
- Global vs. local preferences
- Setting up circulation for each library/branch
- Item types and authorized values
- Setting up patrons
- Setting up cataloging and acquisitions
- Module Two
- Adding new patrons
- Using circulation interface with the public
- Handling fines and fees
- Circulation reports
- Module Three
- Copy cataloging
- Original cataloging
- Importing records from an outside source
- Tracking orders
- Managing serials
- Module Four
- Key Linux commands
- Using the Reports module
- Managing patron-contributed content
- Migration issues
About the Instructor: Brendan Gallagher is a librarian and an expert on installation, data migration, and customization of many open source platforms. Brendan lead the design and implementation for the Bibliomation Consortium open-source integrated library system project and has been the lead project director for many successful open-source initiatives. He is the CEO and Director Innovation of ByWater Solutions
Who Should Attend: This course is designed for a technical audience comfortable with ILS system administration tasks.
What Attendees Should Bring With Them: Each attendee must bring their own laptop and be prepared to connect wirelessly to the Evergreen server that the instructor will provide. If more than one person is coming from a library, they can share a laptop.
- Workshop Agenda
- Koha Implementation Checklist
- Koha Server Recommendations
- Koha Workshop Server Info
- Koha Migration Table
- Skills Needed for Running Your Own Koha System
This workshops is available on a contract basis. Use the Contact Us form to request information.
Archived webinars now available for....
In this archived webinar, Nicole Engard, Director of Open Source Education introduces attendees to the first open source web-based integrated library system - Koha. This first of a two part series covers the features of the OPAC as well as managing patrons and handling circulation functions. This webinar was originally presented on December 17, 2009
(If you are unable to view this webinar, you may need to download an additional plugin for Windows Media Player.)
In this archived webinar, Nicole C. Engard, Director of Open Source Education and a professional cataloger walks librarians through the cataloging functionality within the first open source web-based integrated library system - Koha. In addition to the cataloging overview, attendees are shown how to handle some of the advanced functionality within Koha, such as, Serials, Acquisitions and System Preferences. This webinar was originally presented on December 21, 2009.